How often should you change your AC air filters? According to most air filter manufacturers, you should replace your AC every 30 days if you’re using low-quality fiberglass filters. Air filters are one of the significant components of your HVAC unit that maintain comfort and improve air quality in your spaces. Also, they’re responsible for removing pollen, dust, pet hair, and other particles from the air.
Air filters trap dust particles and other contaminants to prevent them from circulating. So, cleaning and replacing them on time is essential to improve indoor air quality and make your cooling system work efficiently.
Your system’s air filters trap all kinds of particles and pathogens in the air. Though air filters help improve indoor air quality, they can become saturated over time. Dirty and clogged air filters restrict cool air from circulating correctly throughout your home. Also, it can cause your system to overwork, leading it to run constantly. In order to keep your system working efficiently, make sure to change your air filters every 30 to 90 days.
The ultimate duration for replacing your AC air filters may vary depending on several factors, such as:
- Number of smokers in your house
- Air pollution level
- Number of people in your house suffering from asthma or allergies
- Number of pets in your house
- The size of your house
- Quality of air in your area
However, it becomes integral to change your air conditioning air filters if you notice any of the following signs:
- Higher energy bills
- Reduced airflow
- AC freezing up
- Uneven cooling
- Longer cooling cycles
- AC making strange sounds
- Unusual odors
- Increased dust and allergies
Changing clogged or damaged air filters can improve your system’s efficiency by 10% to 15%. You can change the AC filters by yourself by following some simple steps:
- Identify the location and remove clogged filters
- Identify the size and type of air filters your system is using. If it uses older fiberglass air filters, replace them around every 30 days. But if you have pleated filters, you can replace them every 90 days.
- Be sure to choose the right type and size of air filters to make your system run smoothly.
- Install the air filters in the exact location.
Being proactive about the maintenance and replacement of your AC air filters is essential to improve the lifespan and efficiency of your HVAC system. Also, replacing air filters timely improves your indoor air quality, helping you avoid dust-related health issues.
If your AC air filters are clogged or damaged, and you prefer experts to come and replace them, reach out to us at Tempacure Heating & Air Conditioning. We will take a look at your HVAC unit, change your furnace filter, inspect your indoor air quality, and perform system maintenance with 100% satisfaction.